The Way of the Heart: The Promotora Institute
The Way of the Heart: The Promotora Institute (WHPI) is an Arizona non-profit corporation. Established in June 1999, WHPI provides free services to a largely rural community on the Arizona/Mexico border. Utilizing the community health worker (promotora) model, WHPI offers outreach, education, training, referral and advocacy to low-income women and their families on various topics.
Read one of our brochures.
WHPI also convenes and facilitates monthly support groups for cancer survivors, diabetics, and clients who suffer arthritis, heart disease, and sexual abuse. The staff of The Way of the Heart has, on average, six years experience working directly with the community as promotoras.
You should also see our Social Change Diagram.
Collaborators of The Way of the Heart include all sectors of the community including:
and other media outlets, school districts throughout the County, charter schools, and various churches representing nearly all denominations. Members of the staff are frequent guest speakers at local, state and federal conferences on culturally competent outreach strategies for minority populations.
- Parents Anonymous
- Victim Witness
- Public Safety Task Force
- Crossroads Mission
- County Health Department
- City of Nogales
- Mexican Consulate
- County Superintendent of Schools
- Head Start
- Child Protective Services
- Child and Family Resources
- Council on Aging
- Santa Cruz Family Guidance Center
- Department of Economic Security
- Borderlands Food Bank
- City of Nogales Environmental Commission Steering Committee
- Boys and Girls Club
- USDA Rural Development Office
- Small Business Development Program
- Santa Cruz Training Program
- Knights of Columbus
- KNOG 91.1FM
- El Mesias Methodist Church
- Emmanuel Baptist Church
- Saguaro Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Good Shepherd Church
- Green Valley Community Church
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view portions of the content on this site.
Last updated June, 2009 by Daniel Brelsford, Web Designer